I have found over the past month that it is really hard to blog about your progress when on a daily basis you vacillate setting fire to your project or taking a sledge hammer to it. Especially when you selected said project because it was supposed to be "quick" and "easy" and was supposed to "give you a win." Not incite fury, irritation and several coping naps.
Progress has been stuck in neutral on the guest bedroom, even though we have worked on it every day. It's so frustrating to feel like you have done so much work for it to still look the same.
This is how it looks today
The light is actually new - we did get something done!
The issue we have been having relates to repairing the walls using USG's Dust Control Joint Compound. I'm going to do a separate post on it, but the ultimate conclusion is that it was defective. USG sent a representative to our house, refunded our money and took the product for "testing."
This corner has been the major area in which I have wanted to start a fire.
After we opened up the closet we redid the corner and it has been downhill since then. Our options are to either sand EVERYTHING back down to the sheetrock, remove the corner bead and start over (which we have already done once) or patch using new spackle/joint compound. The second option has mostly worked, although every time we try to do that "final" sand something small peels, pops, gouges, etc. So we're at the point where we're going to actually paint everything and then use the new compound to fix any remaining issues.
I know this is kind of a rant/downer of a post, but I think it's important to share the bad with the good. It can sometimes be daunting to read blogs that just show perfect before and afters with the instructions (which probably took multiple attempts to get perfect) and then you go to do the project yourself and it doesn't go together as perfectly as said blog promised. Nothing goes perfectly with our house, no matter what the "after" picture looks like. :)